Jay J. Rice, Partner
103 Eisenhower Parkway
Roseland, NJ 07068
973-618-0400 (Ext. 131)
Jay J. Rice is the managing partner of the firm in which he helped found in 1983.
Mr. Rice has a Cum Laude degree from Rutgers College (1974) and J.D. degree from Rutgers Law School, Newark (1977). He is admitted to practice before the New Jersey Courts, the Federal District Court of New Jersey, the Southern District Court of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court.
Since founding Nagel Rice, LLP, he has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in class action matters, complex commercial litigation, mass torts, chancery, securities, construction litigation, professional malpractice prosecution and defense, and estate litigation. He is a Certified Civil Trial Attorney of the State of New Jersey and has tried numerous cases to conclusion. By way of example, Mr. Rice has: (1) successfully argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court in Tannen v. Tannen; (2) obtained a $7.1 million judgment for a homeowner based upon the Consumer Fraud Act; (3) obtained an $11 million estate litigation settlement; (4) represented Dairy Stores, Inc. in the landmark libel suit, Dairy Stores, Inc. v. Sentinel Publishing, 104 N.J. 125 (1986); (5) obtained a $1.5 Million punitive damage award in American Urgy Center v. Lipsky & Zeltzer; (6) obtained a $1.1 Million settlement against New Jersey Transit in the City of Camden in the Somers Construction litigation; (7) obtained a $750,000 settlement for a plaintiff who suffered head injuries in a bike accident in Grossberg v. Township of Livingston; and (8) obtained a $16.5 million settlement in In re Ski Train Fire in Kaprun, a disaster which caused the deaths of 155 persons and which resulted in a settlement which included compensation from the Austrian Government. Mr. Rice has acted as expert witness in numerous professional liability cases and he has been appointed by the courts as Arbitrator, Mediator, Special Fiscal Agent or Receiver in numerous matters.
Mr. Rice has acted as Lecturer for ICLE and New Jersey State Bar Association in the following manners: 1989: Lecturer on “Restrictive Covenants” for the New Jersey State Bar Association; 1990: Lecturer on the “Corporate Deadlock Statute” for the New Jersey State Bar Association; 1991: Lecturer on “Law Firm Dissolution” for the New Jersey State Bar Association; 1991: Lecturer on “The Corporate Deadlock Statute” for ICLE, 1993; Lecturer on “Successfully Litigating the Closely-Held Corporate Dispute when Those in Control Have Engaged in Fraudulent Mismanagement” for the Essex County Bar Association, 1993; Lecturer on “Litigating Fraud and Mismanagement Disputes in Closely Held Corporations”, ICLE, 1995; Lecturer on “Marketability Discounts in Sales of Closely Held Stocks” for the New Jersey State Bark Association, 1999; Lecturer on “Law Firm Break Ups – Ten Years after Norris” for the New Jersey State Bark Association, 2003; 2011 “Trust and Matrimonial Alimony Issues,” and 2012 "Secrets of Success in Equity Jurisprudence."
Additionally, Mr. Rice has authored “Equity Procedures” for New Jersey Practice, Vol. 19, Chapter 4 (1993) and “Responsibility of Insolvent Corporation for Environmental Cleanup”, New Jersey Law Journal, September 25, 1986.
Mr. Rice was a member of the New Jersey District Ethics Committee For District V (1994-1999); a member of the New Jersey Lawyer Editorial Board from 1996 through 2008; founder and manager of the Essex County Chancery Division Early Settlement Program; a qualified Mediator pursuant to R. 1:40, et seq. and the recipient of the 1995 Essex County Bar Association Pro Bono Chancery Achievement Award.
In 2013, Mr. Rice was selected to the "Fellows of the American Bar Foundation." Mr. Rice has served and continues to serve in many philanthropic endeavors including President of the Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel; President of the Jewish Community Housing Corp.; Member of the Executive Board of the United Jewish Communities of MetroWest; Member of the Board of Trustees of the Jewish Community Foundation of MetroWest; and President of the Gates of Israel Foundation of Temple Sharey-Tefilo Israel.
Mr. Rice was voted by his peers as one of New Jersey’s Top 100 attorneys in 2007-2011, 2013 and one of New Jersey’s Top 10 Attorneys in 2012.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Corporate Law
- Estate Litigation
- Real Estate
- Chancery Practice
- Class Action Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification
- New Jersey, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2009
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law - Newark, Newark, New Jersey
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Essex County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member, 1982 - Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association - Committee on Equity Jurisprudence, Chairman, 1989 - 1991
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Certified Trial Attorneys Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2013 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Baruch S. Seidman, New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division, Law Clerk , 1977 - 1978
Pro Bono Activities
- President, Jewish Community Housing Corp., 1995 - 1999
- President, Gates of Israel Foundation of Temple Sharey Tefilo Israel, 2002 - 2007
- Member, Board of Trustees, Daughters of Israel Geriatric Center, 2007 - 2008
- Member, Board of Trustees, Jewish Community Foundation of Metrowest, 2005 - 2010
- Vice President, Temple Sharey Tefilo Israel, 2008 - 2010
- Vice President and Member of Board, United Jewish Communities of Metrowest, 2000 - 2011
- President, Temple Sharey Tefilo-Israel, 2011 - 2014
The attorneys at Nagel Rice, LLP represent clients in Essex County, Newark, Paterson and throughout the state of New Jersey in a wide range of matters including personal injury, automobile accidents, brain injuries, medical malpractice, business litigation and class action cases.