Construction falls are among the most common and most dangerous accident injuries handled by the personal injury attorneys of Nagel Rice LLP. As a matter of fact, OSHA categorizes a construction fall as one of The Fatal Four types of accidents at construction sites, accounting for nearly 40 percent of the total accidental deaths in the industry. From our offices in Manhattan and Roseland, New Jersey, we work hard to see to it that innocent victims receive the settlements they need to secure their future and protect their families.
Are you entitled to workers’ compensation or should you file a personal injury lawsuit?
While some construction falls may be the result of inattention or clumsiness, many can be traced to a lack of proper safety precautions. Whether or not someone else is responsible for your construction fall, if you work at the construction site at which you fell, you are entitled to workers’ compensation. As a no-fault type of compensation, workers’ comp will provide funds to cover your medical costs and a percentage of lost wages, but will not issue you a check for pain and suffering.
If your serious injuries are due to your employer’s misconduct, however, our savvy construction fall attorneys may be able to file a successful personal injury suit on your behalf. This will also be true if you are injured due to safety violations at a site at which you are making an authorized visit, or one that you are merely passing by.
Safety violations at construction sites include not maintaining the property, failing to train workers properly, failing to provide workers with effective gear, failing to have proper supervision, and neglecting to have regular safety inspections as required by law.
It should be noted that a third party, such as a negligent subcontractor, the manufacturer of a defective product, or a government inspector who faked a thorough inspection may also be to blame. Whoever is liable for the harm that has come to you, Nagel Rice will target the appropriate person or entity.
Types of Construction Falls
There are a number of ways you may take a terrible tumble at a construction site where uneven turf, building materials, heavy machinery, and obstacles abound, including:
- Falling because of a spill that makes the ground slippery
- Falling from a worn or unsecured ladder
- Falling from a high beam, roof or scaffolding
- Falling from a large piece of equipment or being endangered by its presence
- Falling into an unmarked hole or over uncleared, unmarked debris
No matter what type of construction fall you have suffered, our skilled attorneys will fight aggressively to win you the substantial damages you need going forward.
Common Construction Fall Injuries
A great variety of serious injuries can occur during a fall, depending on a variety of factors, such as:
- Whether or not you fell from a height
- What part of your body bore the brunt of the impact
- How hard the ground was and whether it was covered with dangerous debris
- Whether you were wearing protective clothing or gear
- Whether your fall was complicated by a burn or electrical shock
Our legal team is all too familiar with the broad range of injuries a construction fall can cause, from back and neck injuries to large bone fractures, from spinal cord damage to traumatic brain injuries or heart attacks. Severe falls, particularly those from a height, often result in permanent disability or death.
How Our Experienced Construction Fall Attorneys Will Fight for You
At Nagel Rice, we have a long history of effectively taking over legal and logistical matters for our clients while they concentrate on treatment and recovery. These matters include:
- Investigating the construction site
- Identifying who is responsible for your fall and resulting injuries
- Examining police records and medical reports
- Investigating the defendant’s record for evidence of any similar misconduct
- Interviewing witnesses
- Developing negotiation and litigation strategies customized to your particular case
- Consulting with medical or engineering experts on your behalf to boost your case
- Handling all communications with insurance adjusters and opposing lawyers
Above all, we will treat you with empathy and respect, never forgetting that you have been seriously traumatized, emotionally as well as physically. Because we realize that you may also be suffering financially because of high medical costs and lost income, we will never charge you attorneys’ fees until we win you the compensation you deserve.
The Types of Damages You May Receive for Injuries Incurred in a Construction Fall
Our track record of successful outcomes in cases like yours is impressive. We have won millions of dollars in damages for clients to reimburse them for economic losses, like
- Medical, rehabilitative, and pharmaceutical expenses
- Psychological treatment for anxiety, depression, and/or PTSD
- Lost income (present and future)
- Long-term nursing care
- Alterations to make the home accessible
- Replacement costs (e.g. house cleaning and cooking)
and for noneconomic (intangible) losses, such as:
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
In cases in which negligence has been egregious, demonstrating a lack of regard for human life or intentional malice, we will also fight to persuade the court that you are entitled to punitive damages. In situations involving intentionally inflicted harm, we will be able to sue whether or not the defendant is criminally charged, prosecuted, or found guilty.
If you have endured the agony of losing a loved one in a construction fall caused by someone else’s negligence, we know we can only bring you a semblance of justice. Nevertheless, we will do our best to provide you funds to pay final medical expenses, funeral or memorial costs, and provide financial recompense for the loss of financial and emotional support.
Contact Our Experienced Construction Fall Attorneys Today
The sooner you call Nagel Rice LLP, the sooner we can begin providing you with legal support and advocacy. We are committed to fighting, using every bit of our well-honed legal skills, to bring you the substantial settlement that will help you restart your life and provide you and your family with a secure future.
Nagel Rice LLP helps their clients with their construction fall claims throughout New Jersey including Bergen County, Essex County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Morris County, Passaic County, and Sussex County.