At Nagel Rice LLP, we have over three decades of experience protecting the rights of victims of subway accidents in New York and New Jersey. While most subway riders worry about the possibility of assault, a large number of accidents resulting in serious injuries occur due to negligence rather than malice. If you have been seriously injured in a subway accident, contact our New Jersey and New York mass transit attorneys today.
Subway Accidents Happen More Often Than You May Think
Subways are a popular form of urban transportation since they avoid the slowdowns of traffic lights and congestion. Nonetheless, subway accidents occur daily during the process of boarding or exiting trains, on the trains themselves, or on station platforms. In some cases, those injured on subways never report their accidents because they believe fighting for compensation for their injuries will entail “fighting City Hall.”
This is where Nagel Rice’s astute subway accident attorneys come in. We understand not only the laws surrounding subway accidents, but how to determine who bears responsibility for the harm that came to you and how to help you obtain just compensation. Because we know that your financial stability, as well as your physical and emotional well-being, has likely been affected by your injuries, we will charge you no fee for an initial consultation, nor any attorneys’ fees until we win your case.
How Nagel Rice Can Help You Get Through a Subway Accident
We will help you file the necessary paperwork in a timely manner and sue the appropriate government agency (New York or New Jersey Transit) for the damages you deserve. It is essential to contact Nagel Rice as soon as possible after your accident since, unlike other personal injury claims, those involving public transit must have a Notice of Claim filed within 90 days of the accident. The sooner you call us, the more likely you are to be successful in recovering damages
Once we have filed your Notice of Claim, we will work energetically to investigate the precise circumstances that led to your disabling injury by:
- Examining security camera footage
- Taking photos of hazardous subway conditions
- Examining police reports and witness statements
- Checking your medical documents (and possibly having them reviewed by experts)
You can trust us to leave no stone unturned when it comes to creating a well-crafted legal strategy to protect your rights.
Common Subway Accidents that Result in Serious Injuries
Almost everyone who rides the subway regularly has suffered a minor injury at one time or another — being shoved and bruised by another passenger, banging oneself on a subway pole when the train shops abruptly, twisting an ankle while disembarking among a rowdy crowd. When a serious injury occurs, however, it is critical that you contact one of our skilled attorneys.
The following are common ways in which subway passengers suffer injuries:
- Falling due to being pushed by crowds, sudden stops, slippery floors, or improperly designed, manufactured, installed or maintained subway equipment
- Becoming trapped between subway doors
- Tripping on broken stairs, platforms or obstructed walkways
- Having fingers, feet, or clothing pulled into broken escalators
- Suffering shock or electrocution due to electrical malfunction
- Suffering physical assault facilitated by poor lighting and/or inadequate security
- Suffering crush or puncture injuries in a defective turnstile
- Suffering burns or lung damage due to subway fires, smoke, or toxic fumes
Accidents involving the subway train itself — e.g. collision, derailing, explosion — can also result in catastrophic injuries. Suing the transit system is a more complex legal process than suing another driver which is why engaging the services of a premium professional is essential. Once you contact Nagel Rice, we will take over the logistical matters that are making you anxious and overwhelmed and provide you with the clarity and calm you need to recover.
Possible Subway Accident Injuries
As in most mishaps, the type of injury you may suffer in a subway accident is unpredictable. It may cause you temporary incapacity or permanently alter your way of life. Either way, our sharp subway accident lawyers will stand by you, offering you genuine compassion along with the best legal representation available.
Subway injuries that provide grounds for a viable lawsuit include:
- Bone fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (partial or total paralysis)
- Ligament, tendon, and muscle injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Damage to, or loss of, an organ
- Neck or back injuries
- Severe burns
Tragically, some subway injuries are fatal. If you have been through the misery of losing a loved one to a wrongful subway death, our attorneys will pull out all the stops to try to win you the damages you need for final medical expenses, funeral or memorial costs, and loss of emotional and financial support (if applicable).
You Deserve Both Economic and Noneconomic Compensation in a Subway Accident
We will sue for damages to cover actual cash outlays and intangible, but very real, losses.
Economic Compensation to cover:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Property damage (e.g. if you lost a costly watch or laptop in the accident)
- Lost wages (present and future)
- Long-term nursing care
- Alterations to make your home accessible
- Replacement costs for services you now need (e.g. housekeeping or childcare
Non-Economic Compensation to provide some relief from:
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Contact the Experienced Subway Accident Attorneys at Nagel Rice Today
Once you consult with us, we will provide you with the effective, caring service our clients have come to expect. We are well aware of how topsy turvy the world has become since your subway accident and we sincerely want to help you regain your balance. We will do everything in our power to provide you with the resources you need to ensure a brighter, more secure future.