minor car accident

Should I Hire a Lawyer After a Minor Car Accident?

Motor vehicle collisions happen every day in New Jersey. Many of these are minor, and often, drivers wonder whether it is necessary to hire an attorney. Even if it seems that there is no significant damage to your car or injury to either driver, you should consider speaking with an attorney. Unfortunately, injuries can develop as a result of even minor accidents. Sometimes, they develop slowly. Back and neck pain are prime examples. The same goes for your car. You may later discover a minor accident caused more damage than you thought. Speaking with an attorney with our New Jersey car accident attorney can help you preserve your rights early on if you need to take action later on.

What Should You Do if You Are Involved in a Minor Accident?

It is easy to want to brush off a minor accident as no big deal. This may especially be true if the incident felt minor or it appears there was no significant damage to any car. Maybe you’re tired from work and want to get home and put this behind you. Understandably, you do not want to feel like you are making a big deal out of something small, are causing a traffic jam, or have to wait on the side of the road for police to come.

Although it may feel over the top, you should take certain steps if you are in a car accident. At a minimum, you should:

  • Exchange contact and insurance details with the other parties involved
  • Call the police and request a police report
  • Take photos of every vehicle involved in the accident
  • Get professional medical attention for any injuries as soon as you can
  • Speak with an attorney as quickly as possible if you have experienced an injury or property damage

Each step is important, should you ever need to pursue a claim or preserve your rights.

New Jersey Law May Require You to File a Police Report   

NJ law requires that you file a police report in certain circumstances. You must report within ten days of any accident that results in injury or death of any person or damage to property over five hundred dollars. Failing to do so can be considered a crime and can get you into some hot water.

Speak With An Attorney Right Away  

If you’ve been involved in a minor accident and you’re not sure what you need to do, you should contact a lawyer for advice. The sooner you do so, the better able you are to protect your rights. In New Jersey, you have a limited amount of time in which you may be able to file a claim for injuries resulting from an accident or damage to your property. The statute of limitations for personal injuries is two years. The statute of limitations for an injury to personal property is six years.

Our firm knows how to protect your rights, even if an accident seems minor. Contact our office today for a free consultation.