What Should You Do After an 18-Wheeler Accident in New Jersey?
Commercial truck accidents involving big-rigs and 18-wheelers are on the rise in New Jersey and across the country. Due to the significant size and weight of commercial trucks, these accidents often result in severe injury or death.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident, you need the advice of professionals who understand the life-altering impact that follows. Experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys can help navigate the aftermath of a big rig crash and pursue financial compensation for your injuries and losses.
What Should You Do After an 18-Wheeler Accident In New Jersey?
After a truck crash, you will likely be badly shaken and perhaps seriously injured. It won’t be easy to mentally process the event and think clearly about what to do next.
Here are 4 steps you or your advocate should take to protect your legal rights after a truck accident in New Jersey:
Information gathered by first responders may be used as evidence in a legal claim against negligent parties. Police reports provide essential details to determine who was at fault for the accident, while emergency medical reports will substantiate claims of injury sustained in the accident.
Seek Medical Care
If you have been hit by a big-rig, it’s imperative you seek medical attention right away.
- Serious and life-threatening injuries will likely be attended to and documented by first responders and emergency-room doctors.
- Many injuries manifest over time following a traumatic event. It’s crucial you get a follow-up exam with a doctor experienced in treating auto-accident victims.
- Don’t delay. Seek medical attention immediately following the crash or soon after. The longer the time-gap between the crash and resulting medical treatment, the more challenging it will be to link your injuries to the accident.
- It may help to have a family member or friend schedule your medical visits and maintain a calendar and records on your behalf.
Remain Silent and Contact a Personal Injury Attorney
In accident investigations and personal injury claims, anything you say may be used against you. Remaining silent is best after a truck accident.
- Do not apologize or admit fault
- Stay calm and cooperate with law enforcement
- Politely refuse to answer questions without your attorney present
- Don’t talk to the other party or their insurance company without a lawyer
When money is at stake, an insurance company or at-fault party will use every tactic available to shift liability back onto you, including twisting your words. Stay silent and refer all inquiries to your attorney.
Retaining an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney should be a top priority to protect any claim for financial compensation.
Keep an Evidence Journal
The success of your case depends on the evidence used to support your claim. Keep an evidence journal to record observations, recollections, and pertinent facts:
- Road and traffic conditions
- Weather and environmental hazards
- Vehicle information, i.e., license plate numbers, vehicle make/model
- The other driver’s contact insurance information
- Behaviors of the other drivers and passengers
- Witnesses and witness statements
- Notes about your physical, mental, and emotional welfare following the crash
Finally, dash cams are increasingly popular among New Jersey commuters. If you or another driver has dashcam footage of the truck crash, be sure to provide the video to your personal injury lawyer. Dashcam videos may capture details otherwise missed and could be extremely helpful in establishing fault.
Contact a New Jersey Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Truck accidents most often result in serious, life-altering injuries to drivers and passengers of smaller vehicles. If you have suffered in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injury or loss. However, truck accident injury claims are complicated by corporate entities, government regulations, and big insurance.
You need an experienced personal injury attorney successful in representing truck crash victims and winning financial awards. Contact our New Jersey personal injury law office today regarding your case. Our skilled and knowledgeable legal team will advocate fiercely on your behalf for the compensation you deserve.
Posted in: Truck Accidents