Losing a loved one is a heart wrenching experience. When it happens unexpectedly or as the result of an accident, it can be even worse. When a loved one has been killed by the actions of another person, having a wrongful death attorney involved can help take some of the pressure off of yourself, while still seeking compensation for your loss.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is a term we use when a death was the result of another person’s negligent behavior. It is also a term that helps differentiate between murder and an unintentional act. In order to succeed in a wrongful death case, it is necessary to prove that the defendant owed a duty to the deceased person. You must also prove that the defendant breached that duty and caused the injuries that resulted in death.
Common Accidents That Lead to Wrongful Death
Wrongful death can happen in an instant. As wrongful death attorneys, we see them happen most often in the following circumstances:
- Motorcycle Accidents – motorcycling is one of the most dangerous forms of travel. Without the added protection of a steel-reinforced cage around them, motorcyclists are left vulnerable to critical injuries resulting from collisions with autos, trucks and stationary objects or from defective roads or extreme weather conditions.
- Automobile Accidents – auto accidents can be fatal, especially when caused by high-speeds, drunk drivers, distracted driving, road rage and other dangerous road behaviors.
- Commercial Trucking Accidents – when commercial trucks collide with smaller vehicles, the results can be deadly. Additionally, commercial trucks often carry dangerous flammable or explosive materials, which can make an already deadly vehicle even more so.
- Medical Malpractice – doctors are there to help us when we need them most. But, when they fail to diagnose a fatal illness or cause further injuries during treatment, they can cause wrongful deaths. Other ways medical malpractice can reveal itself includes delayed diagnosis, pharmaceutical errors and medical device defects.
- Defective Product Accidents – device manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure their products are designed and built with end-user’s safety in mind. However, this doesn’t stop defective products from entering the market. Wrongful deaths can result from defective car parts, defective medical devices, defective children’s toys, defective pharmaceuticals, and more.
- Workplace Accidents – Even the most innocuous profession can have its dangers. Whether you work in an office or on an oil rig, you face dangers everyday. If these dangers are not mediated, wrongful death can result.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Families rely on wrongful death lawsuits to help pay for things like medical expenses, funeral bills and loss of income and support. Society relies on these types of lawsuits to hold people accountable for their actions and set examples. If you have lost a loved one due to a wrongful death action, we should talk. Contact our team at Nagel Rice, LLP today immediately to discuss your options for filing a wrongful death action on behalf of your loved one.