103 Eisenhower Parkway
Roseland, NJ 07068
973-618-0400 (Ext. 110)
Bruce H. Nagel and his partner and boyhood friend Jay Rice formed Nagel Rice, LLP 30 years ago and have built a newsmaker reputation for achieving multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements.
Mr. Nagel, a top 10 Super Lawyer and certified civil trial attorney, is widely recognized as one of New Jersey leading trial lawyers. He specializes in medical malpractice, class actions, business tort, wrongful birth and catastrophic personal injury. He has achieved numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements, and has appeared 12 times before the New Jersey Supreme Court, molding the law of medical malpractice, class action, wrongful birth and trial practice.
Mr. Nagel and his firm pioneered the field of wrongful birth and wrongful life, an area of law that involves the failure to provide proper prenatal resting and care which results in the birth of a child with serious birth defects. Mr. Nagel has also handled significant personal injury litigation for victims of auto accident, truck accidents, burn accidents, construction site accidents and more.
For the past five years, the firm has been working on a well-followed short-selling litigation case. The multi-billion dollar suit is against hedge funds engaged in a major short-selling scam. The funds are accused of distributing false information about a company to obtain significant profits.
Mr. Nagel was born in Paterson, New Jersey, August 28, 1952. He received his law degree from New York University in 1977 and his B.S. from Cornell University in 1974. He was admitted to the New Jersey State Bar in 1977. He is also admitted in the U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey and U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, First and Fourth Circuits.
Mr. Nagel is the author of the following articles: "The Evolving Torts of Wrongful Life and Wrongful Birth," New Jersey Lawyer, October, 1997; "Deduction for Taxes in Valuing Professional Practices: Avoiding the 'Triple Whammy,'" New Jersey Family Lawyer, Volume X, No. 4, May 1990; "Individual Contract Rights For Union Employees--How Far Will The Court Stretch Woolley?" New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law, Vol. XI., No. 4, 1988; Co-Author: "Critical Pattern Requirement Under RICO," New Jersey Law Journal, September 1, 1988.
He was an adjunct Professor, Seton Hall University School of Law. He has also served as the moderator and lecturer on the following topics: First Annual Tort Law Forum, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, June, 1997. Lecturer: Annual Convention, Top Ten Tort Cases of 1997, The Association of Trial Lawyers of America-New Jersey, 1997; Third Annual At-Will Employment Law Symposium, 1989; Institute for Continuing Legal Education "Construction Contract Workshop," 1988; "Trying a Wrongful Birth Case," ATLA, New Jersey.
Mr. Nagel is a member of the Essex County and New Jersey State (Member, Sections on: Labor and Employment; Litigation) Bar Associations; The Association of Trial Lawyers of America; and The Association of Trial Attorneys of New Jersey. (Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification).
Mr. Nagel was named a New Jersey Super Lawyers Top 100 Attorneys in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 and a New Jersey Top 10 Super Lawyer in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification
- New Jersey, 1977
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1977
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- Cornell University
- "The Evolving Torts of Wrongful Life and Wrongful Birth,", New Jersey Lawyer, October, 1997
- "Deduction for Taxes in Valuing Professional Practices: Avoiding the 'Triple Whammy,", New Jersey Family Lawyer, Volume X, No. 4, May, 1990
- "Individual Contract Rights For Union Employees--How Far Will The Court Stretch Woolley?", New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law, Vol. XI., No. 4, 1988
- "Critical Pattern Requirement Under RICO", (Co-Author), New Jersey Law Journal, September 1, 1988
- Exxon Mobil Created Public Nuisance 9-15-08, New Jersey Law Journal, Sep. 15, 2008
- News 4, Teen Bares Her Battle with Anorexia, How She Won, June 6, 2008
- Attorney Devoted to Law and Order, The Sunday Star Ledger, April 20, 2008
- Griggs Settlements: Dead or Alive?, New Jersey Law Journal, April 18, 2008
- Lawsuit Alleges Montville Student was Cyber-Bullied, The Star Ledger, Nov. 29, 2007
- The New Jersey Super Lawyers, Bruce Nagel Isn't Afraid to Shake Things Up 2007
- $2.7M Verdict Ends Hartz Mountain's Long, Uphill Battle, New Jersey Law Journal, May 29, 2006
- Health Care Law, Small Board Contemplates Big Changes for Out of Network Providers, Dec. 12, 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Essex County Bar Association, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Litigation Section, Member
- The Association of Trial Attorneys of New Jersey
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America