For over 30 years, Nagel Rice LLP has fought for victims of dental malpractice. While orthodontic malpractice is not often spoken about, we take it very seriously, especially since many of its victims are children. If you or your child has suffered due to the negligence of an orthodontist, our capable attorneys can help. We know how traumatic it is when a healthcare professional betrays your trust and will take the legal steps necessary to see that you receive justice.
Our practice is well-known throughout New Jersey and in the New York Metropolitan area, and we have an impressive track record of successful outcomes, having won over $1 billion in settlements and verdicts. When you contact us for a free consultation, we will determine whether you have a viable case. Once you become our client, we will provide you with skilled, compassionate service and will not charge you anything until we recover damages.
What Is Orthodontics & Orthodontic Malpractice in New Jersey?
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that focuses on correcting the positions of teeth for both functional and cosmetic reasons. This type of correction has become so common that some consider it a part of growing up. Orthodontics involves braces, removable aligners (e.g. Invisalign), retainers, and other jaw-repositioning appliances. In some cases, extractions are necessary before orthodontic treatment can begin.
Purposes of Orthodontics
Some believe that orthodontics only offers aesthetic improvement, but this is far from the truth. Without orthodontic corrections, malocclusions — teeth improperly positioned when the mouth is closed — can cause several problems.
When performed correctly, orthodontic medicine can prevent or repair:
- Speech difficulties
- Unattractive smiles
- Improper bite function
- Future tooth damage or loss
- Risk of tooth trauma and injury
- Bad oral health
While orthodontic treatment, performed adequately, affects many positive results, orthodontic errors can harm patient health.
When Orthodontics Goes Wrong: Orthodontic Mistakes
Most practicing orthodontists are competent and careful, but that doesn’t help you if your orthodontist was negligent and caused you harm. Remember that our orthodontic malpractice attorneys are on your side and will work tirelessly to bring you the substantial damages you deserve if your orthodontist has:
- Failed to take a complete medical history or to pay attention to its findings
- Was unable to diagnose or treat an infection in the mouth or another complication
- Failed to obtain informed consent for a risky procedure
- Did not refer you to a specialist when necessary
- Delayed installing braces for too long
- Used instruments or devices improperly
- Improperly installed braces, headgear, or other dental appliances
- Caused infection due to faulty sterilization or for some other reason
- Failed to diagnose an oral problem, such as TMJ or mouth cancer
- Performed unnecessary painful or harmful procedures
- Did not adjust braces as frequently as necessary
- Left braces in place for too long or too short a time
Harm You or Your Child May Have Suffered Due to Orthodontic Malpractice
Orthodontic negligence can lead to ongoing problems, such as:
- Cosmetic defect
- Periodontal disease
- Other oral or systemic diseases
- Incorrectly positioned teeth
- Need for tooth extractions
- Need for future oral surgeries
- Need for future orthodontic treatments
- An incorrect bite that interferes with eating or speech
There are dental or medical remedies for some of these problems, but they are likely to be time-consuming, costly, and painful or uncomfortable. They may also involve another period of wearing braces that you may find unattractive and irritating.
If you thought you were done with orthodontic work and now find that you require more treatment due to your dentist’s ineptitude or carelessness, you are entitled to compensation.
Our knowledgeable orthodontic malpractice attorneys will fight hard to see that you receive every dollar you deserve.
Proving Orthodontic Malpractice
Proving medical malpractice of any kind is challenging. Since doctors and dentists are held to a higher standard than the average person, there tends to be a cultural bias against holding doctors accountable for mistakes that are not purposeful. At Nagel Rice, we firmly believe you should not have to pay the price for physical, emotional, and financial distress due to your orthodontist’s negligence.
We have well-honed strategies to prove the four elements of orthodontic malpractice:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed, and your orthodontist owed you a duty of care
- Your orthodontist breached that duty
- That breach caused you injury
- Your injury resulted in actual damages
Services Nagel Rice’s Orthodontic Malpractice Attorneys Will Provide
At this point, you are likely overwhelmed by the thought of dealing with legal and logistical matters when you are already coping with physical, emotional, and financial stress. Leave it to our experienced lawyers to take it from here. We will:
- Handle all negotiations with opposing attorneys and insurance adjusters
- Investigate the particulars of your case by examining all dental and medical reports
- Check whether the defendant has a history of similar negligence
- Interview any witnesses
- Consult with experts in related dental and medical fields who may testify on your behalf
Most of all, you can count on us to be persuasive litigators.
Contact Our Accomplished Orthodontic Malpractice Attorneys Today
We will do everything possible to help you receive the damages you need for dental and medical costs, lost income (if applicable), disfigurement, physical pain, and emotional distress.
The sooner you get in touch with us, the sooner we can start working on your case, so contact us now.