Medical bill from a hospital

Big Medical Bill Following A Car Accident: Resources for the Injured

By Greg Kohn

A car accident in New Jersey can cause severe injuries and property damage. The medical bills and costs can be overwhelming and cause financial stress for the victim and their family. If you were injured in a car accident and have big medical bills, this blog by our New Jersey car accident lawyer discusses resources to help handle medical bills after a car accident.

Who Is Liable for My Medical Bills After a Car Accident in New Jersey?

New Jersey is a no-fault state for car accidents. All drivers must purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coverage. PIP is no-fault insurance. Therefore, it pays your medical bills regardless of who caused the car accident. You don’t need to sue the other driver or file a liability insurance claim to be reimbursed for medical expenses.

The minimum PIP coverage required is $15,000, but you can purchase coverage up to $250,000. PIP policies have a deductible between $250 and $2,5000 that must be paid before the company pays any medical bills from a car accident. 

Once your PIP coverage is exhausted, you need to look for other resources to pay medical bills from a car accident. Our New Jersey car accident attorneys can help you explore other options.

Can I Sue the Other Driver for Medical Bills After a Car Accident in New Jersey?

If you chose the full tort option when you purchased your PIP coverage, you have the right to pursue legal action against the driver who caused the car accident. Therefore, you could sue the driver for medical bills and other economic damages. You could also sue the driver for non-economic damages, which are not covered by no-fault insurance. 

Before you can recover compensation for damages, you must prove that the other driver caused the accident. You must also prove the value of your damages. You might need to sue the driver to recover damages. During this time, your healthcare providers will want to be paid. If you have health insurance, it might cover the bills. You can also discuss medical liens with your lawyer as another option. 

If you opted for a basic PIP policy, you do not have the right to sue the other driver at all. Your compensation is limited to your PIP policy, which may not cover all damages or specific types of damages. If you choose a standard PIP policy with lawsuit limitations, you can only sue the at-fault driver in the event of:

  • The death of a family member
  • Loss of a fetus
  • Dismemberment 
  • Permanent injury 
  • Displaced fractures 
  • Significant scarring or disfigurement 

If you chose limited standard PIP coverage or a basic PIP policy, you might be able to use your health insurance to pay medical bills after a car accident. An experienced New Jersey car accident lawyer can review your case to determine if other legal options exist to pay medical bills after a car accident. 

Get Help With a Personal Injury Claim to Recover Medical Bills and Other Damages 

Contact Nagel Rice LLP to schedule a consultation to discuss your case with a New Jersey personal injury lawyer. You could be entitled to substantial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other economic damages. You may also receive compensation for your pain and suffering or non-economic damages.

About the Author
Greg Kohn is a partner at Nagel Rice and specializes in complex civil litigation cases, including professional malpractice, personal injury, class actions, wrongful death, products liability, and commercial litigation.  He has extensive experience representing clients in both state and federal court. Greg has tried many jury trials to verdict and has recovered over $50 million in settlements and verdicts in all types of personal injury matters including automobile accidents, wrongful death cases, slip and falls, and other catastrophic injury cases. Greg also handles medical malpractice cases, involving misdiagnoses, wrongful birth, and delayed cancer diagnosis. If you have questions regarding this article, you can contact Greg here.